Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Book Review: The Lightning Thief


Title: The Lightning Thief (Percy and the Olympians #1)
Author: Rick Riordan
Genre: YA Fantasy

Well, I just wanted to say straight from the start that this is a kid's book and even though it's classified as YA it's probably aimed towards tweens and very early teens but yeah, I read it and I'm not ashamed of it. Anyway, I read it because it was on the World Book Night 2013 List and I'd heard good things about it so I decided to check it out. This is actually the first book in the Percy and the Olympians Series and I believe there are four more books in the series, just FYI.

So what's it about? Well, Percy is a 12 year old kid who always seems to be getting in trouble. He's been expelled from 5 schools in the past 6 years and he's about to get kicked out again. During a school trip to the Met he is attacked by his math teacher and discovers she is one of the three Furies (as in the goddesses of vengeance). After the incident he learns from his history teacher, who happens to be Chiron (a centaur) , that he is a demigod, the son of Poseidon. He also learns that Zeus' master lightning bolt has been stolen, and he is the prime suspect. So it's up to him and his friends to find and return Zeus' lightning bolt in ten days and prevent a war between the gods from happening.

I thought this book was very good. It's fast paced, humorous and overall a fun read. I especially liked the chapter titles, they were witty and really funny. If you're a Greek mythology fan you should definitely read this, it's all about Greek mythology but in a modern setting which I thought was pretty original. It's super kid friendly so I definitely recommend it for your kids, younger siblings, cousins or whatever; or if you're an adult like me and like reading YA books every once in a while to bring out your inner child, definitely read this book!

Also, if you're interested, there is a movie based on the book. I watched it after I read the book and I was not impressed. It was very different from the book and just to keep it quick and simple, I didn't really like it. I think I would've liked it better if I had watched the movie without having read the book beforehand... Oh well! Check out the book though, it's great!

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment