Thursday, March 21, 2013

Books I'm Currently Reading

Hey guys! Technically, I was supposed to write a book review every two weeks but I've been quite busy and haven't been able to finish any of the books I'm reading. So instead I'm going to write a very short summary about each book I'm currently reading. Yes, you read correctly: books (as in three). Yeah, it's this habit I have, I can't read just one book at a time for some reason unless it's a really good book that I can't put down until I'm done with it. So, without further ado, here are the books that are currently on my reading list.


Title: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Author: Betty Smith
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is an American classic that focuses on an Irish-American family living in Williamsburg, a poverty-stricken immigrant neighborhood in Brooklyn. Set at the beginning of the 20th century, it narrates the life of Francie Nolan and her family: her beautiful and hardworking mother, Katie, who loves her son Neeley more than her daughter; her dad, Johnny, a charming and handsome man that drinks his problems away and Neeley her brother, the only person she fully trusts.

Title: Silent Spring
Author: Rachel Carson
Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring was first published as a series in the New Yorker in 1962. In this book, Carson explains the dangers that DDT and other chemical pesticides pose for plants, wildlife, humans and the environment in general. The publication of this book, forced the banning of DDT in the United States and spurred revolutionary changes in the laws affecting our air, land, and water. It is the book that launched the environmental movement of the twentieth century.

Title: Little Women
Author: Louisa May Alcott 
Little Women is an American classic that narrates the story of four sisters living in New England while their father goes off to the South to serve as a chaplain in the Civil War. Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy struggle to support themselves and confront their personal and moral issues as they grow and mature in to young women.

As I was writing this post I noticed something. All of these books are about strong women who aren't afraid to pursue their dreams, overcome odds or fight for a cause they believe in. So if your interested in books about strong women, you should definitely check these out. Also, I'll be posting reviews for these

Oh, and if you're interested in checking out what I'm reading, the books I want to read or books I've read, feel free to friend me on Goodreads. Happy reading!

<3, Martha

No comments:

Post a Comment